Oaxaca Slideshow

Monday, April 16, 2012

Que Te Vaya Bien

Thank you all for following us on our journey. Some thoughts from us.....


"La comida es una verdadera manifestacion del amor" - Food is a true manifestation of love.

Being in Oaxaca has opened my mind and my heart to the richness of the culture, people, and traditions that are alive here. I have a much greater appreciation for food as a way of expressing and passing on traditions, recipes, and knowledge. It is also a social fabric that bring the community together through fiestas and celebration.I will never forget watching the women in Teotitlan grinding corn on the metate for hours in the morning, shape dough, and make tortillas. Here, the traditional way of life is held on to in face of modernization and globalization. I am forever thankful for this experience. Special thanks to Mary Lucia, all of our amazing professors, students who I shared this experience with, and all of the people I met along the way. Its been a delicious journey.

Stefan
_____________________________________________________________

The last three months have been among the best in my life. Never did I think that I would have an experience like this. I knew this was going to be something great but this has been so much more than that. It has changed my life in so many ways with lessons learned, and friends made that I know will last a lifetime. This program is really something special and I would not change anything that I have done here, and I cannot wait to tell you all about it.
Con todo mi Corazon
Ashley H.
____________________________________________________________________________
When I stepped off the plane
To this day now,
Where’d the time go?
Wow, holy cow!

Day trips and visits,
To weeklong stays;
The state of Oaxaca
Was like our maize.

We travelled together
And laughed all the time.
Guacamole is best
With a whole bunch of lime.

Studying abroad,
It’s life-changing stuff.
I know myself better,
And that’s no bluff.

The ups and the downs,
We worked through them all.
Let’s take all that we’ve learned
With us into the Fall.

It’s “hasta luego,”
Since we will return.
Because we know that in life
There’s always more to learn.

Oaxaca, I love you.
You helped me to see
The potential and value
That’s inside of me.

Thank you slash gracias
For this opportunity
Now on my way to Vermont
With a loving community.

Danielle
______________________________________________________________
While in Oaxaca, I was immersed in a culture defined by food, community strength and tradition. I ate my way through the deeply rooted cuisine and fell in love with every bite. The kindness of the Mexicans here, the arts they produce, and their sense of identity within a community is what I take with me to integrate into my life at home and I will never forget it.
~Sam
______________________________________________________________
While I'm stoked for cheddar cheese,
I can't help but feel unease.
I'll be so glad to be back,
But will cry when I unpack

Speaking English all the time?
Isn't that some sort of crime?
Español is clearly best,
We've all improved-- I'm so impressed!

Leaving now? It can't be done!
I still feel like we're on day one.
We'll have to return, very soon, I'd say,
Maybe next year? We can't delay!

I'll ask Mary Lu if I can come back,
Every year 'til I've done all the tracks,
I'll be a botany expert, and a Mexican musician,
Then be fluent in Spanish, in addition.

The next thing I'll do is move to Teotitlan,
Learn Zapoteco before the language is gone,
Braid ribbons in my hair and sport my mandil,
Shaking everyone's hands and saying 'zac xtili!'

But really, though, let's all come back,
Every single one of us, our entire gringo pack.
Maybe it will be like we never even left!
The people still nice and the food still hard to digest!

One thing, though, that makes me glad,
Is when I'm missin' Oaxaca real bad,
I can call you guys up and say,
'Don't you really miss mole?'

Queso fresco and tostadas,
Aguas, jugos, and limonadas?
Oaxacan food is hard to beat,
Just so many tasty things to eat.

When I'm craving a tylayuda
Or just want to dance at Barracuda
I'll know I'm not alone
And I'll call you on your phones
Shana
_______________________________________________________________
Tiempo
We have already lived,
We have yet to die,
And we're about to be born

-Pedro
_______________________________________________________________
Hey friends. Though difficult to express my feelings of Oaxaca in a few lines, I must say that it was a life-changing experience. My first time out of the country, I learned new customs and traditions I may have never been exposed to. Thanks to everybody who made this a great trip, because it is something I will never forget!
Mickey
_______________________________________________________________
In Oaxaca, México I learnt a lot more than how to speak Spanish. I saw, heard, ate, and experienced things that I never had before. There is so much more to the world than anyone can ever realize.
Ariel
______________________________________________________________
This loud, raw, colorful, smiling country has taught me more about myself and what I live for than any other experience I've had to date. I leave with a strong sense of self, a confidence that I have seen honest beauty and greatness, felt passion, seen life, and am bringing home friends that will last a lifetime. ¡VIVA MÉXICO!
luna
______________________________________________________________

I know that Oaxaca has not yet seen the last of me. I feel asthough I have become addicted to the culture, cuisine, art, and beautiful aswell as hospitable people of the area. Writing just a sentence or two about mysemester long experience here could never do it justice.
Whitney
______________________________________________________________
Here I am, leaving somewhere that has become a second home to me. I will miss the beauty of this place, the vibrant colors and people, the incredible cuisine, and unique art, and the sense of community intrinsic in the culture. But, I will carry these things in my heart back to Vermont until I can return here once again.
Not adios, but simply hasta luego Oaxaca
Jocelyn
_______________________________________________________________
As I spend my last few hours in Oaxaca I'm thinking back to the very beginning and how far I've come, literally and figuratively. We travelled all over Oaxaca and each trip, day, and conversation has changed me forever, even if all those changes aren't completely clear to me now. The people and adventures I've encountered in this beautiful, colorful, unique place have taught me so much about myself and I will continue to hold onto these new relationships and all the things I've learned and I know I will continue to grow from them. So it's not really goodbye Oaxaca, because I know I will return to you soon!
Que te vaya bien,
Michaela
_______________________________________________________________
Not only did I become a better Spanish speaker, but I learned, from the Oaxacan's, to be a proactive member of any community, to be a hospitable person, and to care for the ones that are closest to me. Oaxaca is a very special place, and my travels here has changed my global, regional and local perspective.  

Jack Laub 
_____________________________________________________
Thrown out of our comfort zones and into the city life of Oaxaca, we have become an invaluable group of remarkable individuals. I have learned oodles from the academics, but even more from Oaxaca itself: the indigenous cultures, foods, conversations and daily life.  I feel so fortunate to be a part of the Oaxaqueño community as well as our own little VT and UVM family.  Que te vaya bien!Abrazos y besitos,

Marisa
____________________________________________________
Van rides, mangos (and guanabana), beachtime, tantos amigos increíbles, making up stories, gettin a little hogwild, troubled poops, Español, being here now, chelas, botanizing the shit out of life, feeling good, bodysurfing with Rad Randy and the Naughty Naughties, running up stairs,being full, singing about Central Park after dark, San Vicente Lachixio, succulent plants and handsome ferns, loving each day because: why not?
Jack Litterst 
_____________________________________________________

Luna, Joe, Jack Laub, Jack Litterst, Ashley Hill, Ashley Moore, 
Stefan, Ariel, Michaela, Sam, Danielle, Mickey, Peter, Marisa, Jocelyn, Whitney, Sarah, Soph, Shanita, Brittany, Sierra, Mary Lucia, Andrea, Aerin, Yayo and countless others: thank you for sharing your smiles with me over the past four months. Let's continue harnessing our curiosity and grabbing onto opportunity. Hasta pronto, Oaxaca - our dear home away from home.
 
Natalie
_____________________________________________________
Oaxaca has been an incredible cultural learning experience. I learned a lot not only about another country so very different than my own, but found myself along the way. I came to question why the world is the way it is and started to understand my place in it all. Oaxaca is truly a beautiful place and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to study abroad here and to share my experience with such amazing people.
Brittany 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment